America’s Central Port®, formerly known as Tri-City Regional Port District, is strategically located in the heart of the U.S. on the Mississippi River and adjacent to an excellent highway system. The Port, and its tenants, offer a wide range of services and facilities, including: barge, rail and truck commodity transfer; industrial, commercial and residential development sites; and warehouse and commercial lease opportunities.
The Tri-City Regional Port District was created in 1959 by the Illinois State Legislature as an economic development tool for the communities of Venice, Madison and Granite City in southwestern Madison County, Illinois. The mission of the Port was, and continues to be, to enhance transportation and to promote job growth within the region. Fifty-five years later, the Port has an annual economic impact of $282 million on the local economy, generating $2.5 million annually in property taxes. Today, there are 18 public ports in the State, and the Tri-City Regional Port District is arguably the most active.
In 2002, the adjacent US Army Charles Melvin Price Support Center property was transferred to the Port, and named “River’s Edge”. The Port now owns or operates approximately 1,200 acres of property adjacent to the Mississippi River. In 2011, the Port re-branded the property name as “America’s Central Port”. It owns and operates 1.9 million square feet of warehouse space, 70,000 sq ft of office space and 150 apartments. Over 70 tenants lease from the Port District today, supporting over 900 jobs.